Jacksonville District Header Image

 

JACKSONVILLE DISTRICT

Home
Home > Media > News Releases

Bookmark and Share Email Print

Posted 9/28/2017

Release no. 17-054


Contact
Amanda Parker
904-232-1576
amanda.d.parker@usace.army.mil

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Jacksonville District awarded a contract on September 27 to Norfolk Dredging Company, of Chesapeake, Virginia, for $36,569,582.00, for the Pinellas County Beach Renourishment Project, part of the Pinellas County Storm Protection Project.

Norfolk will renourish critically eroded shoreline in Pinellas County using dredge material from Egmont Shoals as well as Johns Pass. The federal project, led by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, in partnership with Pinellas County and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, is cost-shared between the federal government 75%, with the remaining 25% non-federal cost split by Pinellas County and the state of Florida.

“Norfolk has a proven track record working along the Pinellas County shoreline. In 2004, they successfully completed two emergency beach fill projects for the Sunset and Upham beaches, a federal project in partnership with Pinellas County. “The feedback we received from residents, city and county staff, was very positive, and we look forward to partnering with them again on this important project,” said Laurel Reichold, Corps project manager. “Beach renourishment protects infrastructure from seasonal storms and hurricanes, supports the economy, preserves wildlife and promotes coastal resilience.”

The work was divided into a base and four options, and the award included the Base and two Options: Options A and B.  Construction is expected to begin by late November, with completion scheduled for October of 2018. The contractor will place approximately 1 million cubic yards of beach-quality sand along the critically eroded shoreline of Sand Key, and approximately 63,000 cubic yards of beach-quality sand on Treasure Island at Sunshine beach. The Corps and Pinellas County are actively investigating Hurricane Irma impacts to determine additional sand placement and funding needs for Sand Key, Sunset Beach on Treasure Island (Option C) and Upham beach on Long Key (Option D).

By the numbers:

Base

Where: Sand Key – Clearwater beach to North Redington Beach

How much: 1,000,000 cubic yards of sand

Length along the shoreline: 10.5 miles

Width of the berm: Varies from 40 to 100 feet

Option A

Where: Sand Key – North Redington Beach

How much: 7,500 cubic yards of sand

Length along the shoreline: 1,800 feet

Width of the berm: varies from 0 to 10 feet.

Option B

Where: Treasure Island – Sunshine Beach

How much: 63,000 cubic yards of sand

Length along the shoreline: 2,200 feet

Width of the berm: 60 feet

Project updates will be available on the web and social media, including the Jacksonville District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JacksonvilleDistrict/ and on Twitter @JaxStrong.

 

 

 

-30-

Pinellas County Beach Erosion Control Project